Friday, January 25, 2013


My Ral Partha Pathan "army" has been suffering from a lack of bodies for a very long time, so when Al Maurer of Askari Miniatures decided to get rid of some of his old treasures, Ral Partha Pathans that he had painted, when, like me, "I could paint them with unaided eyes".

There were 36 painted foot and 1 mounted for just a little more than buying unpainted figures from Great Endeavours where I get all my new Ral Parthas, I jumped on them!  Since I have 20 figures to a unit with 1 leader included, I ordered a pack of 10 Pathans firing rifles to add to them, and replace figures in existing units that have gone missing over the years.

Al's figures were mounted on 1/2" bases made of card, so I rebased them on 3/4" pennies and washers to match the rest of the army.  It was fun trying to match Al's paint jobs and mine from 25 years ago.

So, without further ado, here are the pictures of my 3 tribes.
Al's are the front two units in the beige outfits.  When I did these, I didn't realize that there was so little info on Pathan standards, so all my standards are completely fictional!
Al's unit front and center!  The blue that you see is because the moving trays (not bases!) are from the electrical box covers that I was put onto Al Reis when we we doing Soldier's Companion.  The reason I say "not bases" is because I run lots of convention games, and open order is a base apart, not a moving tray!
These are the oldest paint jobs, and reflect the Revision 1 The Sword And The Flame idea of identifying units with different colors.  I needed to add a single figure to each unit, and matching paint colors from 25 years ago is difficult.
These are the Bunnerals, often mentioned in Winston Churchill's "The Story Of The Malakand field Force".
You may notice that there is no cavalry, and probably won't be.  I have Al's mounted figure for the ubergrouppenfuhrer for the Pathans, and that's it.  I did have a gaudily painted mounted figure that seems to have gone missing.

These boys will give my Scotties and Indian troops a hard time, as they have already defeated the Indians alone in 2 convention games, without the 2 extra units!

Churchill says that the Pathans had a great fear of cavalry if they were caught in the open, and I'll have to incorporate that in my future Colonial Adventures games.

Thanks for looking, and I will attempt to do better in replying to your comments!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Buildings for The Governor's Daughter

The latest $3 for 2 scenarios included The Governor's Daughter, in which the player attempts to rescue her from pirates!  This inspired me to build a bunch of buildings that have been sitting around as a PDFs since 2006.  These are from Miniature Wargaming.  Here's the direct link to them.

They're pretty simple, with two pieces for the walls, and one for the roof.  However, they also have ruined walls that the unharmed building slips over.  A VERY tight fit.  That's why all mine have a base of black mat board underneath them; to aid in removing the ruined building from inside the complete one.  The ruined building has two pieces for the walls and one for the floor.  The walls fold over to give inside and outside details.

Here's all I built. (I realized later that The Governor's Daughter has 12 huts, not ll.)
The large hut is in the foreground.  They're pretty simple, as they should be, having a door, and a window in each side wall for the small hut, and a door, and two windows in the front and rear wall for the large hut.
This is the large hut from the front.  The only "accessory" is the red door hanging to glue over the tan one.  The figure is a Front Rank FIW British officer on campaign.  The building's footprint is about 4-1/2" x 3-3/8".
This is the small hut.  It's about 3-3/8" square.  As you can see, the door on the small hut is on the low wall and the door on the large hut is on the high wall.  The windows on the side wall of the small hut are like the ones on the large hut, but there is only one per side.  There are no openings on the rear of the small hut.
This is the ruined insert for the small building.  There is smoke damage starting at the floor and decreasing as it rises up the wall.
And here's an interior shot.  The windows and door could be cut out, but I don't know if I would recommend it, since the fit is so tight, and that would add to more fiddlieness!

If you choose to make these, here are a few tips that helped me.
When you make the ruined walls there is a gluing tab on both sides on the left end of the wall piece.  Remove one.  You can slip the still attached tab inside the other wall it you leave about 1/4" at the end unglued.

Fold and glue the ruined walls before cutting the irregular to edges.  You can never match them perfectly.

I put a bead of glue around the bottom of the inside of the walls, and then slipped the floor in from the top.  It's easier that way.

The small hut's ruined walls are a very tight fit.  I recommend that you glue a base with a tiny bit of an overhang to the bottom of the floor to keep from having to crush the inner walls slightly to slip them out.  The large hut has no such problem, and will slip in and out very easily.

So that's it.  It took me a little more than a day to finish all of these.  I printed them out Saturday evening, assembled one small and the large hut and their interiors.  Then on Sunday I assembled the rest with plenty of stops to rest my back, and a 3-hour visit from my Mom, and cut and glued the bases in about an hour on Monday.